Supporting quality instructional design
The Quality Matters Instructional Designers Association (QM IDA) is a special interest group of Quality Matters.
The QM Instructional Designers Association Mission is to promote and improve the quality of online education and student learning through instructional design practice by providing professional development opportunities to strengthen instructional design practice, building community, networking, and fostering mentoring opportunities, promoting quality standards-based practice informed by research and sharing best practices.
As a group we provide self-paced free or low-cost professional development, establish an online space for networking and professional partnerships, promote collaboration and mentorship between instructional design professionals, build a community for everyone, regardless of background, promote quality standards based practice which is informed by research, and participate in problem solving, research, and sharing of best practice.
The goals of the QM IDA are to:
- Provide professional development as well as an online space for networking and development of professional partnerships
- Promote collaboration and mentorship between instructional design professionals in an open community, regardless of background, focused on quality standards based practice which is informed by research
- Encourage instructional design information and resource sharing on a national scale where problem-solving, research, and best practice is freely exchanged.
A current QM subscription — either individually or through an institution — is required for membership in the QM IDA. If you are unsure if your institution is a member, you can search to find out.
Sign Up Through Your Institution’s QM Membership
- Sign in to your MyQM account*.
- Select the "My Tools" menu.
- Select the Role Applications link.
- Select the QM Instructional Designers Association Application link.
Sign Up with an Individual QM Membership
- Log into or create* a MyQM account
- Click “Subscribe” from the left side menu.
- Select “Subscribe Today!”
- Complete the short online form with your contact and payment information to purchase the Individual Subscription
- Once the subscription is activated, complete the QM Instructional Designers Association Application found in MyQM > My Tools > Role Applications.
*To create a MyQM account, choose “I am new here” on the login page.
Looking for the Job Board?
ID-related job postings have moved to the QM IDA Listserv. Please see the information below on how to sign up and access the listserv. For non-members interested in sharing job postings with the QM IDA, please use our Google Form to submit your request.
Get Involved & Get Answers
QM IDA Twitter Chats
Be sure to follow @TheQMIDA. These monthly chats (#QMIDAChat) provide a forum for members to share thoughts and resources related to questions around using QM and creating a culture of collaboration and continuous improvement.
Date: Friday, January 14, 2022
Time: 12:00 p.m. ET
Topic: Leveraging Emerging Technologies for Effective Teaching and Learning
Q1: New and emerging technologies are exciting but can create challenges when following the QM standards. What support is needed and/or provided to help faculty navigate the effective use of new & emerging technologies as well as quality course design?
Q2: How can the effective utilization of new and emerging technologies be championed when working with faculty?
Q3: What emerging technologies will help increase the effectiveness of online teaching and learning over the next five years? How will they help?
Q4: How are emerging technologies used both effectively and ineffectively in online learning environments? What is needed to change the ineffective methods?
Q5: What quality metrics should/could be used to help determine the value & effectiveness of new & emerging online learning technologies and tools? Why are these metrics the most beneficial?
QM IDA Learning Exchange Webinars
Join QM IDA members several times a year for free webinars delivered by your peers. Registration is limited to current members of the QM IDA. Recordings of past sessions can be accessed from the Reference Library in MyQM.
Check back soon for our next event!